A DAIRY auditor in Australia, Jalal Dean, yesterday questioned principal veterinarian Dr Robin Achari's statement on the safety of eating meat from brucellosis-infected cows.
"Although the microbe is destroyed during heating, I was rather shocked to read Dr Achari's statement that there is no danger to consumers eating meat from infected animals," he said.
"He must have been misquoted because eating meat infected by the above microbe is no different to drinking milk that has not been suitably heat-treated (that is, minimum of pasteurisation)," said Mr Dean, who is a well-known letter writer to the Fiji Times.
However, Ministry of Primary Industries vet Dr Achari maintained the meat was safe for consumption.
Yesterday, officials involved in the culling process of the 282 brucellosis-infected cows at the Fiji Meats Industry Board abattoir at Nakasi, Nasinu, took a break.
Dr Achari said as of Saturday afternoon, only 30 cows were slaughtered.
"We will continue with the culling process on Monday at the rate of 30 cows a day.
"This means that we will not complete the culling process until the end of the week."
Dr Achari said the disease was an organic infection which meant that it was safe for public consumption, given the approval of a veterinary doctor.
Ministry of Primary Industries spokesman Joe Uluilakeba said the rest of the infected cows would be transported to the Fiji Meats abattoir where they would be culled and dressed for sale.
Source: newsroom - meattradenewsdaily.co.uk
Back to News Headlines